Friday, April 24, 2009

Politics and Power

The season has arrived.

Elections.
IPL. (No use talking about it)

These two events cannot co-exist in the same country at the same time! Such is their importance for the country's "progress".

(PROGRESS lol)

I'm gonna speak only on the elections part.

Jaago re! Get out and vote! Even if you watched the TV for 5 minutes a day, you would have witnessed one of the politically inclined ads - be it the Jaago re ad, or the Majboot Neta-Nirnayak Sarkar ad, or the Congress ka haath-Aam aadmi ke saath (Ya right) ad..

First off, one of the "Vote Karo" ads that is done by the "perfectionist" Aamir Khan is bogus.
They tel you to SMS "MYNETA " to 56070, and you shall be given details of the candidate running for the post in your constituency.

When I saw the ad, I was so influenced that I decided to waste away Rs 3 for knowing details about the leaders im choosing from.

The SMS that I received back from these people was:
"Based on 2004 affidavit data (2009 data coming soon) - KAMAT GURUDAS - INC, Criminal Cases - No. Assets - 33894725, Liabilities - 0.00, Education Level - Post Graduate, for more call 1-800-110-440"

What did the ad promise? Details about my current candidate(s).
What did I get? Details of ONE leader from one party, and that too, the details are from the previos elections. 5 YEARS AGO.

What the hell am I supposed to understand about "my" candidate from this information?
My constituency is changed, and there are different candidates here. What if I'm interested in some other candidate? Why did the Election Commision give such importance to that ad and give it the support it didn't deserve? This is a big mess. Anyway, who am I to say anything? The perfectionist faulters :|

Then came the Varun Gandhi issue. Man, he said pretty bad words. This kind of behavious should not be accepted and the person should be barred from taking rallies for a week or two (Just like Raj Thackeray). But NO. Mayawati had different plans, she decided to take advantage of the situation. She arrested the man. Kept him in jail for 2-3 weeks.

During this 2-3 week period, several other well-known politicians came up with their own little "hate-speeches".  Lalu Prasad Yadav, Rabri Devi and some Shrinivasan.
The words that these three politicians used were a thousand times worse than what Varun had said.

Now comes the twist! The EC were said to be "going through" their speeches and possible prosecuting them, or taking action. The opposition were really interested on HOW the EC reacts to this. I, personally, was expecting the EC to leave Varun Gandhi for about 2 weeks (until the elections were over) and leave alone the other 3 politicians.

BANG. That's what EXACTLY happened. WHY? You friggin ask the EC, or the BSP, or the Congress (The government in power). When Varun Gandhi said those things, they were onto him like the corocodile in the Alpenlibe ad jumps to get his candy.
When the court left Varun Gandhi with a letter from his side stating that "He would never say a hate-speech again", the Congress leaders did not say a WORD about their own leaders givind hate-speeches, but instead, their spokesperson said that "Varun Gandhi has admitted to his fault". We friggin know THAT. What about your own party members who were left free without even a hearing? NO ANSWER.

I really don't think Varun Gandhi should have said what he said. But what happened next was a real example of what this government is capable of doing. Using power for all the wrong reasons.
Thats all it has done in the 56 years it has been in power.

They talk about the Godhra riots all the time and call Narendra Modi a murderer (Something of which he was cleared of by a commision that was set by the Congress). On the other hand, they never talk about Nandigram (more recent than Godhra) or the '84 Sikh Riots! I mean, WTF?

In the end you've got to choose from someone who is bad and someone who is worse.

Please don't mistake this as a one-sided post. I don't support any party (at least in my posts). I have just stated what I felt was going on.
----

All these are my personal thoughts, democratically speaking. I am writing this because I am scared of the government people infiltrating into my house and taking me into custody. But then again, GOVERNMENTS should be afraid of their people, and NOT the other way around.

----

(As mentioned before, I have just stated the obvious, apologies if I've hurt you in anyway)

1 comment:

Shekhar said...

Nice post....Good that we are thinking..[:)]